Friday, June 01, 2007

Birds and Roses: My cure for writer's block

My writing goal is to write between 1,000 to 2,000 words per day. My average per day, is much less… more like 400 – 700 per day, once every three days instead of every day. Well, it’s better than nothing, and I’m still inching my way to my goal.

My problem seems to lie in that I get the urge to write at times when I just can’t write, but than at the time I set aside to write, I’m to bored or restless or want to read or whatever… anything that is not writing basicly.

I’ll be right in the middle of something, say walking my dog, or cleaning the catbox, when this great idea well pop into my head, with not a pen or paper in sight. Than an hour or two later, I’ll finally get to some paper, and I find I can’t think of what I wanted to write down, or else I can’t get it worded right, or worse I’ve forgotten it all together!

I write amazing outlines. You should see the detailed historical timelines I can come up with for my story ideas… than I sit down, my outline in hand, ready to type the story itself and nothing. I’ll just sit staring at a blank screen wondering what to write about.

Than I’ll start typeing away, got a 1,000 words before I know it… WOO-HOO! I’m done for the day! Than I read what I wrote. Not one word of it goes with the book I’m working on; instead it goes with some book idea I gave up on 4 or 5 years ago.

sheesh! Now I have to start all over again, cause those 1,000 words didn’t count!

I find myself doing this all the time… the result is I end up working on 4 maybe 5 stories at any one given time, and never finish them on deadline.

The up side: When I do get finshed, I have 4 or 5 stories finished at the same time.

I’ve got a flower garden… with tall rose bushes over 13 feet tall. There’s one on each side of the path, and they grew up entwining to make a natural archway. Little songbirds sing and twitter all day long. It’s so peaceful and relaxing. There’s these old mossy logs, I sit on to do my writing. I find that if I’m stuck on my typeing on the computer, that the best way for me to get back on focus is to pack up a few pens and a lot of paper and head out and sit in the garden. By the time it’s dark I’ll have 30 or 40 pages written and I get to stay up all night typeing them into the computer. For me that is the best cure for “writer’s block”. I can’t explain it, but I do my best writing and my highest word count writing when sitting in the garden, listen to song birds and writing in longhand.

~~EK

No comments:

Top 30 Authors Found in My Private Book Collection:

Authors whose books I own the most copies of.

Random Books From My Private Book Collection:

Top 100 Tags Found in My Private Library:

Space Dock 13 Recommends: